Monday, July 14, 2014

July 14, 2014



Elder Low's report:

This week I've been reading in the ether, particularly in chapter 12. I love this chapter. it talks powerfully about faith, and how the Lord shall make strong those who come unto them even in their weakness. but this time around reading it I noticed something that has a very important application to missionary work as I read Moroni's plea to the Lord and the Lord's response:
23 ...Lord thou hast made us mighty in word by faith, but thou hast not made us mighty in writing
24 ...Behold, thou hast not made us mighty in writing like unto the brother of Jared, for thou madest him that the things which he wrote were mighty even as thou art, unto the overpowering of man to read them.
25 ...wherefore, when we write we behold our weakness, and stumble because of the placing of our words; and I fear lest the Gentiles shall mock at our words.
 26 And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying:Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;
 27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
In this moment the Lord shows Moroni that he need not fear what the wicked would have to say about his words. The Lord had placed the strength and power of his message within the words notwithstanding the weakness of the writer, and that if those who read the words would humble themselves they would be greatly blessed, otherwise they would receive no such blessing. I love that because that is how all of us are. The Lord has sent out, the small and weak, not so that we could necessarily argue well, or speak well, not because our understanding of doctrinal principles is perfect, but because we know what we feel about the gospel is true. Therefore those who will be humble enough to accept our message despite our weakness, heeding unto the spirit rather than the understanding of men, will be blessed. Those who mock shall miss out on the message that the whole of humanity has come to earth to hear. I believe this is what the Lord meant when he said, "my sheep know my voice."

This week we started right out harvesting. I thank you so much for trusting me with the oppurtunity to train and hope I'll be able to live up to your and the Lord's expectations. I decided if there was one thing I wanted my companion to learn was that the elect are waiting, and as we follow the spirit he will send us to them. We harvested quite a bit but were having not a whole lot of success.

Finally during an exchange with my new district leader we knocked on a guy’s door. He opened and quickly identified us as Mormon missionaries.
"My brother and father are members in Spain," he said, "I was really impressed the time I went with them there. I don't have time right now but come back tomorrow."
We agreed and sent an appointment. The next day Elder B. and I went back. Wanting him to use his newly learned baptismal invite in Spanish we prepped it, planned when we would us it and went in. He was there. We sat down and said a harvest blessing. He told us he was almost baptized in Spain. I looked over at Elder B. with a look that I hoped would say, "INVITE HIM NOW!" He got the message, invited the man to be baptized and come to church. The investigator said of course. He came to church this week and will be baptized next week.

I know people are waiting for us. I know as we are obedient and bear testimony, the Holy Ghost will as well, and despite our weakness, those who are ready will accept.
Elder Low.

No comments:

Post a Comment