Wednesday, September 24, 2014

July 21, 2014



 Elder Low's report:

This week I've been reading in the book of second Nephi in the Book of Mormon, particularly in the 4th chapter. Near the end of this chapter, after his father has passed away, Nephi begins to speak of the great things the Lord has done for him. He talks about many of the experiences he had as recorded in the first book of Nephi in which miracles occurred as he put faith in the Lord and trusted in his promises. He talks about how the Lord sustained him in the wilderness, protected them in crossing the sea, gave him visions, and power even unto the trembling of his enemies before him, all of which resulted from his obedience. However when I read this part of the chapter this time around I noticed something else as well. Though Nephi talks about the incredible joy that he has received from the goodness of the Lord, he also talks about how this joy is restrained as he thinks about how unworthy a servant he is.
 16 Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard.
 17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.
When reading the accounts of Nephi, it is hard to imagine that a man of such great spiritual power could have ever experienced such sorrow. When reading the accounts of the people of the Book of Mormon, sometimes we see the example they have set and forget that though good, they were not perfect and that such miracles are available to all as a result of the atonement of Jesus Christ who will repent and who will change and who will become better, trusting in God, and being more obedient day by day.
 28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

This week we were honestly having a really hard time. Another companionship had gotten sick, and needed a lot of attention. This resulted in us having to take a lot of time out of our labours in the area. When we were working in the area, I felt myself being rushed and often frustrated in the circumstances we had been put in. The week trekked on and I felt like I had not done everything I could. Finally Sunday morning, seeing our weaknesses, we kneeled down in our apartment, thanked the Lord for what he had given us, and asked him if, despite our weakness, he would help us to finish the week, to somehow, in his mercy, give help from heaven and send a miracle. That Sunday the person we were hoping to baptize did not show up to the meetings but instead, two people, who we had not even spoken to, did show up and one of them accepted a baptismal date for the following Sunday.

I know the Lord heard our prayer. I know he will send help if we will but follow him and if we offer all we have; he will make up the difference.

Elder Low. 

No comments:

Post a Comment