Monday, November 25, 2013

November 18, 2013

Elder Low's report:

This week I've been studying in Jacob and a little bit in Jarom, and I found it really interesting what Jarom says at first in the plates. Knowing he doesn't have much room to write, rather than try to scribble as much in to the space as possible so he can get his part in, he states;
" And as these plates are small, and as these things are written for the intent of the benefit of our brethren the Lamanites, wherefore, it must needs be that I write a little; but I shall not write the things of my prophesying, nor of my revelations. For what could I write more than my fathers have written? For have not they revealed the plan of salvation? I say unto you, Yea; and this sufficeth me." (Jarom 1:2)
After reading this I found it very interesting that though Jarom stated explicitly that he had revelations and prophesies he would not write them seeing no reason to, as the plan of salvation had already been known.

This week we started teaching a man who was having a lot of problems. He was having trouble at work, troubles staying afloat, his family was scattered all over the world, and though he felt like all he and his wife had great faith in God, they felt God had abandoned them.
Every time we came over he seemed to have a have a heavy heart and mind and had trouble paying attention or comprehending how the gospel could help him. Finally on Saturday, we went over again and my companion and I felt compelled to teach him about the plan of salvation specifically.
So we went over and the lesson began as usual; he had a difficult time understanding, but as we began to teach about the Lord's purpose for us here, to grow and progress to overcome the natural man that we may rejoice in our coming closer unto God, repenting and changing, he began to listen with more intent.
We testified that God doesn't as often take away our trials, as much as he does strengthen us as we come unto him to become enough to overcome them ourselves. We testified that God loved him, and that the opportunity he now had to accept the Gospel was the Lord's response to his prayers.

Often times I get caught up on teaching what they need to know to get baptized. I teach them the commandments and that they are to be baptized without teaching that why we want to be baptized is so we can fulfill the Lord’s plan for us, and receive the blessings that come through it.


Elder Low

No comments:

Post a Comment