Monday, October 21, 2013

October 14, 2013

Elder Low's report:

This week I've been reading a lot in the Book of Mormon about the prophecies of the life of Jesus Christ.
This included a lot of Alma 7 and 1 Nephi 11. What I find so interesting about these chapters was what was described about Christ.
Instead of just describing what the Lord Christ would speak about, but about what he would do, the prophets illustrated how the people should live, and what they should aspire to be.
How people were to recognize Jesus as the son of God was not only by the wisdom and knowledge he spoke and had, but what he did, and how he did it.

This week my companion and I had what I have to say was the most successful week I've ever had on my mission.
People we were able to teach were everywhere it seemed, knocking door after door ended in finding person after person, all of who were interested in hearing the message we had to share. It was incredible, and it was much unexpected.
What had we been doing differently? On Friday I found out that we had a lesson with a cool Cuban guy who really liked to ask questions. He had been hard to teach, but was interested in what we had to say.
This day we were having a lesson, and in the middle he started talking about why he continued to listen to us.
He said "I have talked to a lot of different representatives of religion in my life, each trying to convince me that their doctrine was correct, and in the end I didn't feel a huge desire to join with any of them. But when you two boys came to my door I felt very intrigued in what you had to say. This wasn't because your convincing was better than others, but it was that you didn't seem to be trying to convince me at all. You weren't arguing, you were inviting, and instead of teaching about God with pride, you teach with humility."

What we teach is important, our confidence and ability to carry our message with power comes from our knowledge that it is true, but how we exemplify what we teach is what converts. We teach by the spirit and people feel of its truth.
As we exemplify our message people desire after it, they search with real intent, and their connection to God becomes their own, and what they come to receive is not knowledge only, but the changing power of the atonement of Christ.

Elder Low.


No comments:

Post a Comment